World Teachers Day Celebration Online Quiz for Nigerian Teachers (Win FREE N500 Airtime) – Click Here to Participate for FREE!
15 November, 2016: President Buhari held a private meeting with King Mohammed VI on the sidelines of the 22nd session of the Conference of Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP22) in Marrakech, Morocco.
1-3 December, 2016: Official Visit of His Majesty King Mohammed VI to Nigeria. Several cooperation agreements were signed between the two countries on this occasion. One of the most significant was the one that kickstarted the Presidential Fertilizer Initiative (Details here). The Nigeria-Morocco Gas Pipeline Project was also birthed during this meeting.
15 May, 2017: Bilateral Meeting between the Governments of Morocco and Nigeria, in Rabat, at which two agreements — following up on the December 2016 meetings — were signed.
10-11 June, 2018: Official Visit of President Muhammadu Buhari to Morocco.
Highlights of Official Visit of President Buhari to Morocco; June 2018
Sunday June 10, 2018
– President Muhammadu Buhari arrives Rabat
– PMB reviews detachment of the Royal Guard at the Royal Office
– Private Meeting between President Buhari and HM King Mohammed VI
– Official Iftar in honour of President Buhari and the Nigerian delegation.
– Signing of 3 Bilateral Cooperation agreements between Nigeria and Morocco
Monday June 11, 2018
– President Buhari meets with Prime Minister Saadeddine Othmani, at Royal Guest Palace
– President Buhari meets with Speaker Moroccan House of Representatives, Habib El Malki, and President of the Advisers on Commerce, Ben Chemmas
– President Buhari visits Mausoleum, lays wreaths on tombs of past Kings of Morocco
– President Buhari returns to Abuja
Agreements Signed between Nigeria and Morocco on Sunday June 10, 2018
1. The Morocco-Nigeria joint declaration on the implementation of the next phase of the Regional Gas Pipeline strategic project signed between NNPC and Moroccan Office for Hydrocarbons and Mining
2. Memorandum of Understanding between OCP Group of Morocco and the Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority (NSIA) for the development of an industrial platform in Nigeria for the production of ammonia and related products.
3. Cooperation Agreement in the field of agricultural vocational training and technical supervision between the Moroccan Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries, Rural Development, Water and Forests, and the Nigerian Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development
JOINT COMMUNIQUE FOLLOWING THE VISIT TO MOROCCO BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA HIS EXCELLENCY MUHAMMADU BUHARI
At the invitation of His Majesty King Mohammed VI, His Excellency Muhammadu Buhari, President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, undertook the first visit by a Nigerian Head of State to the Kingdom of Morocco, on 10 and 11 June 2018.
The visit reinforces the positive bilateral relationship between Morocco and Nigeria since the Royal Visit to Abuja in December 2016. His Majesty King Mohammed VI and His Excellency President Buhari affirmed their will to create a model of South-South cooperation.
In this spirit, they welcomed the significant progress made in various areas of cooperation, such as agriculture, fertilizer production, energy infrastructure and mining.
His Majesty King Mohammed VI and His Excellency President Buhari noted with satisfaction the milestones achieved and underscored their commitment to the Regional Gas Pipeline, which will connect Nigeria’s gas resources, those of some West African countries and Morocco, thereby fostering integration and development of countries in the West African region.
The two Heads of State also noted progress made in other areas of the bilateral cooperation, as evidenced by the Agreement between OCP of Morocco and the Fertiliser Producers and Suppliers Association of Nigeria to invest in Fertiliser Production; and the Memorandum of Understanding between OCP and the Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority on the establishment of a Basic Chemicals Platform, specifically to develop a significant Ammonia Production Plant.
On the basis of their exemplary cooperation, the two Heads of State agreed to develop a partnership in the field of agriculture, particularly through the signing of Cooperation Agreement on vocational training and technical supervision.
On regional and international issues of mutual interest and concern, His Majesty King Mohammed VI and His Excellency President Buhari confirmed their willingness to consult and coordinate the positions of the two countries in regional and international organizations, including the African Union.
His Excellency President Buhari congratulated His Majesty King Mohammed VI on Morocco’s election to the Peace and Security Council of the African Union. He also congratulated His Majesty the King on the successful completion of his mandate as African Leader on Migration Issues, which culminated in the presentation of the African Agenda for Migration and the creation of the African Observatory on Migration. He also paid tribute to the personal commitment of His Majesty King Mohammed VI to sustainable development in Africa.
His Majesty King Mohammed VI congratulated His Excellency President Buhari for his leadership in the regional initiative against terrorism in the Lake Chad region and commended his efforts in the fight against corruption and his role as the African Union anti-corruption champion.
The two Heads of State, in the spirit of the holy month of Ramadan, underscored their commitment to moderation, tolerance and peaceful coexistence, as taught by Islam. They expressed deep concerns about violent extremism, terrorism and the persistence of security threats in Africa. They affirmed their resolve to strengthen cooperation in efforts to combat radicalization in Africa and beyond.
At the end of the working visit, His Excellency President Buhari, on behalf of his delegation, expressed his deep appreciation for the warm reception and hospitality of His Majesty King Mohammed VI, the Government and the brotherly people of Morocco.
For your news articles, press release, Breaking News, send e-mail to [email protected]