Some 90 divers are involved in the rescue operation – 50 are foreign and 40 are Thai, the head of the rescue operation said.
Governor: Next operation to start in 10-20 hours
Chiang Rai Governor Narongsak Osottanakorn said Sunday’s rescue mission has come to an end and the next one is to begin 10-20 hours later, depending on weather conditions.
Only four boys have come out of the flooded cave on Sunday, Al Jazeera’s Scott Heidler reported, following earlier confusion where reports of another two had been recovered, emerged. That was “all wrong”, Heidler clarified.
Heidler noted it appeared as though the four boys had been rescued in pairs, as each two were escorted out of the Tham Luang cave complex only minutes apart.
Rescue mission to resume after masks/gear checked over and tanks replenished.
Everyone ‘amazingly happy’
While initial reactions in Chiang Rai have been positive in response to the first phase of the rescue operation, with most people “amazingly happy” about the four boys rescued so far, Al Jazeera’s Scott Heidler said families were still concerned.
“We’ve been speaking to families up in that cave site … they want to know if that’s their son,” he said, referencing the rescued boys.
The youth football team and their coach have been surviving on “chips and water”, Heidler said, according to a woman who sold them snacks before they headed to the cave complex.
Heidler noted the team had previously visited the site multiple times as part of their team building exercises. The flooding of the cave has been attributed to monsoon rains.
For your news articles, press release, Breaking News, send e-mail to [email protected]